Who can use Culture Pass?
Cardholding patrons 13 and older of Queens Public Library, Brooklyn Public Library and The New York Public Library are eligible to reserve passes for free admission to participating cultural institutions. (Please note that you must have a regular, full-service card to use Culture Pass. Ecards and Educator cards are not eligible for use with the reservation system. NYPL virtual cards are also not eligible; to get access, patrons must provide documentation of home address to NYPL staff).
How do I sign up for a library card?
To qualify for a free public library card in New York City, you must be a resident of New York State or work for a company or go to school in New York City. If you are eligible and would like to apply for a NYC library card, visit your library’s website below to get started.
Which libraries are participating in Culture Pass?
Culture Pass is a collaborative program coordinated by Brooklyn Public Library, Queens Public Library and The New York Public Library.
How do I make a reservation using Culture Pass?
- Go to the homepage and click on your library system in the "Reserve a Pass" drop-down menu.
- Log in to the Culture Pass reservations system using your library card credentials.
- Browse for passes by date or venue. Please note that passes are in high demand and supplies may be limited!
- Make a reservation.
- Make sure to read each offer carefully, as some museums will require you to make a timed-entry reservation on their website after you have reserved your Culture Pass due to regulations related to Covid-19.
- Print or download your pass shortly before your visit. Remember that once you print/download your pass you cannot cancel your reservation. Passes are only redeemable during hours that each venue is open to the public—be sure to check the venue’s hours before you reserve! You will be required to present valid ID in person that matches the name on your pass. The cardholder who reserved the pass must be present to redeem free entry.
How do I cancel an active Culture Pass reservation?
You can only cancel a pass if you have not clicked on the "Print/Download" button and agreed to the warning that passes cannot be cancelled after viewing or printing. For this reason, we recommend printing your pass one day prior to your reservation. Library staff cannot cancel passes for you. If you need to cancel, please do so with three days notice (when possible) to allow someone else to use the pass.
When are passes for a new month available?
Passes will be released at midnight on the first of every month for the following month. For instance, on October 1, passes for November will be released; then on November 1, passes will be released for December; and so on. Please note that passes are in high demand and supplies are limited at each site, with a certain number of passes available per month.
Which cultural institutions are available for reservation through Culture Pass?
Is there an age limit to participate in Culture Pass?
You must be at least 13 years old to reserve a pass.
How many passes can I reserve?
You can reserve one pass per cultural institution per calendar year and you can have four active reservations at one time. Having four active reservations will block you from making additional bookings for future dates until the date for one of your active reservations has passed. If you reserve a pass but do not use it you will not be able to book for that institution until the next calendar year.
How many people can use one pass?
This will vary depending on the venue. Cultural institutions may choose to offer passes for two adults or families of four. When using Culture Pass to attend a live performance in a venue with fixed seating or limted space, the pass will typically admit just one person. Be sure to carefully read the details when reserving your pass. Passes are not transferable. Remember, you will be required to present valid ID in person that matches the name on your pass. The cardholder who reserved the pass must be present to redeem free entry.
Can I print a pass at a library branch?
Yes. Printing at all Queens Public Library branches is free—so print your pass when you are ready and enjoy! To avoid a minimal fee when printing at a New York Public Library or Brooklyn Public Library branch, please ask a library staff member to release the print job for you. Be sure to tell them you are printing a Culture Pass.
Is there a mobile version of Culture Pass?
Yes, you can access the Culture Pass website on your mobile device. Currently, there is no Culture Pass app.
Why can’t I make a reservation?
There are a few reasons why you may not be able to make a reservation:
- No passes are currently available. Check back on the first of the month!
- You have four active reservations—the maximum you can have at any given time.
- You’ve already used up your pass at this site for the year.